Education & Experience：
2017 – Present: Professor, Peking University, School of Chemical Biology&Biotechnology
2005 – 2017: Professor, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
2008 – 2011: Beihang University, Chang Jiang Scholars Distinguished Professor
1999 – 2005: Associate Professor, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
1992 – 1999: Assistant Professor, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
1988 – 1992: Postdoctoral Fellow, Argonne National Lab (USA) / University of Toronto (Canada)
1983 – 1988: Ph. D., Rice University, USA.
1. Controlled synthesis, structure and applications in energy areas of nanomaterials, Guangdong Province Natural Science, Second class, 2016.
2. Research on giant electrorheological fluid structure and physical properties, National Natural Science Award, Second class, 2014.
3. Controllable synthesis, microstructure and related properties of transition metals complex nanomaterials, National Natural Science Award, Second class, 2013.
4. Controllable synthesis, microstructure and related properties of transition metals complex nanomaterials, The Ministry of Education Natural Science Award, First class, 2010.
5. Controlled synthesis and property investigations of Cu, Mn based transition metal complex nanomaterials, Anhui Province Natural Science Award, Second class, 2007.
6. Development of nanoscale cryo-cathodes and devices, Guangdong Province Science and Technology Award, First class, 2006.
The interest of Yang’s group is focused on the development of functional nano-/micro-materials, the understanding of their collective properties and form-function relationship, and the applications of these materials in energy conversion and storage devices. Our goal is to uncover the fundamental principles underlying the materials’ functions and to provide the materials and technology base for realizing, among other things, cost-efficient solar energy utilization.
1. Solar energy conversion and storage
(1) New generation solar cells: Perovskite solar cells；
(2) Photoelectrochemical cells: OER/HER electrocatalysts, photoelectrochemical water splitting；
(3) Novel electrocatalysts and photocatalysts for CO2 reduction；
(4）New materials enabled optoelectronic devices.
2. Design and assembly of low dimensional nanomaterials (quantum dots, 1D, and 2D materials)
1. Juzhe Liu,Yongfei Ji, Jianwei Nai, Xiaogang Niu, Yi Luo,* Lin Guo, * and Shihe Yang,* “Ultrathin amorphous cobalt–vanadium hydr(oxy)oxide catalysts for the oxygen evolution reaction”, Energy Environ. Sci., (2018), 11, (2018), 1736-1741
2. Xia Long, He Lin, Dan Zhou, Yiming An, Shihe Yang,* “Enhancing Full Water Splitting Performance of Transition Metal BifunctionalElectrocatalysts in Alkaline Solutions by Tailoring CeO2-TMO-Ni Nano-interfaces”, ACS Energy Lett., 3(2018), 290-292.
3. Xiangyue Meng, Junshuai Zhou, Jie Hou, Xia Tao, Sin Hang Cheung, Shu Kong So, Shihe Yang,* “Versatility of Carbon Enables All Carbon Based Perovskite Solar Cells to Achieve High Efficiency and High Stability”, Adv. Mater., (2018), 1706975.
4. Yang Bai, Xiangyue Meng,* Shihe Yang,* “Interface Engineering for Highly Efficient and Stable Planar p-i-n Perovskite Solar Cells”, Adv. Energy Mater.，(2017), 1701883.
5. Yang Bai, Shuang Xiao, Chen Hu, Teng Zhang, Xiangyue Meng, He Lin, Yinglong Yang, Shihe Yang,* “Dimensional Engineering of a Graded 3D-2D Halide Perovskite Interface Enables Ultrahigh V oc Enhanced Stability in the p-i-n Photovoltaics”, Adv. Energy Mater., 7 (20) (2017), 1701038.
6. Xiaoli Zheng , Haining Chen , Qiang Li, Yinglong Yang, Zhanhua Wei, Yang Bai, Yongcai Qiu, Dan Zhou, Kam Sing Wong, and Shihe Yang,* “Boron Doping of Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes Significantly Enhances Hole Extraction in Carbon-Based Perovskite Solar Cells”, Nano Lett., 17 (4) (2017), 2496–2505.
7. Kai Hang Ye, Zilong Wang, Jiuwang Gu, Shuang Xiao, Yufei Yuan, Yi Zhu, Yuanming Zhang,* Wenjie Mai,* Shihe Yang,* “Carbon quantum dots as a visible light sensitizer to significantly increase the solar water splitting performance of bismuth vanadate photoanodes”, Energy Environ. Sci., 10 (2) (2017), 772-779.
8. Minghao Yu, Zhengke Wang, Cheng Hou, Zilong Wang, Chaolun Liang, Cunyuan Zhao, Yexiang Tong,* Xihong Lu,* Shihe Yang,* “Nitrogen-Doped Co3O4 Mesoporous Nanowire Arrays as an Additive-Free Air-Cathode for Flexible Solid-State Zinc–Air Batteries”, Mater., 29 (15) (2017), 1602868
9. Jue Hu, Bolong Huang, Chengxu Zhang, Zilong Wang, Yiming An, Dan Zhou, He Lin, Michael K. H. Leung, Shihe Yang,* “Engineering stepped edge surface structures of MoS2 sheet stacks to accelerate the hydrogen evolution reaction”, Energy Environ. Sci., 10 (2) (2017), 593-603.
10. Shuang Xiao, Yang Bai, Xiangyue Meng, Teng Zhang, Haining Chen, Xiaoli Zheng, Chen Hu, Yongquan Qu, Shihe Yang,* “Unveiling a Key Intermediate in Solvent Vapor Postannealing to Enlarge Crystalline Domains of Organometal Halide Perovskite Films”, Adv. Funct. Mater. (2017), 1604944.
11. Haining Chen, Shihe Yang,* “Carbon-Based Perovskite Solar Cells without Hole Transport Materials: The Front Runner to the Market?”, Adv. Mater., (2017), 1603994
12. Xia Long, Zilong Wang, Shuang Xiao, Yiming An, Shihe Yang,* “Transition Metal Based Layered Double Hydroxides Tailored for Energy Conversion and Storage”, Mater. Today, 19 (2016), 213-226.
13. Haining Chen, Zhanhua Wei, Hexiang He, Kam Sing Wong, Shihe Yang,* “Solvent Engineering Boosts the Efficiency of Paintable Carbon-based Perovskite Solar Cells to Beyond 14 %”, Adv. Energy Mater., 6 (2016), 1502087.
14. Xia Long, Guixia Li, Zilong Wang, Houyu Zhu, Teng Zhang, Shuang Xiao, Wenyue Guo, Shihe Yang,* “Metallic Iron-Nickel Sulfide Ultrathin Nanosheets as a Highly Active Electrocatalyst for Hydrogen Evolution Reaction in Acidic Media”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 137 (37) (2015), 11900-11903.
15. Zonglong Zhu, Jiani Ma, Zilong Wang, Cheng Mu, Zetan Fan, Lili Du, Yang Bai, Louzhen Fan, He Yan, David Lee Phillips, Shihe Yang,* “Efficiency Enhancement of Perovskite Solar Cells through Fast Electron Extraction: the Role of Graphene Quantum Dots”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 136 (10) (2014), 3760-3763.
16. Xia Long, Jinkai Li, Shuang Xiao, Keyou Yan, Zilong Wang, Haining Chen, Shihe Yang,* “A Strongly Coupled Graphene and FeNi Double Hydroxide Hybrid as an Excellent Electrocatalyst for the Oxygen Evolution Reaction”, Angew. Chem., Int. Ed., 53 (29) (2014), 7584-7588.